Ring worm is a type of fungal infection that affects the skin. Ring worm is also referred to as “dad” is fungal infections including athlete’s foot .It is a circular ring like patch on the skin. Ringworm leads to a ring shaped spot on the body. This ring may spread as the infection progresses. In severe cases the skin may develop blisters. Ring worm may be restricted to many patches or just a single one. Ring worm may occur on the scalp, body, foot, groin and nails.
Symptoms of Ring worm
4. Hair loss in patches
5. Sores which fill with pus
7. Red rash in the shape of a ring
9. Skin irritation
In severe cases of ringworm on the body, the ring may enlarge or multiple rings may join together. The rings may be slightly raised and itchy. There may also be blistering and pus formation around the rings.
Causes of Ring worm
- Most cases of ringworm spread through direct skin-to-skin contact with someone who is infected.
2. Ringworm may also spread through contact with animals if you spend time grooming or petting them.
3. The infection may sometimes spread when you touch an object that has been handled by an infected person or animal. This may include hairbrushes, clothes, telephones and door knobs.
4. In rare cases, contact with infected soil can cause the ringworm to spread.
5. The fungi that cause ringworm can survive in moist environments, which is why you need to be particularly cautious when frequenting public swimming pools and locker rooms.
Higher risk of developing ringworm include:
- Individuals with skin conditions such as eczema
2. Ringworm commonly occurs in children before the age of puberty
3. Boys seem to be at a higher risk for ringworm
4. Some individuals have a genetic predisposition to the infection
Tips and Diet
- Apply tea tree oil on infected area
2. The mixture of honey, olive oil and beeswax could help to treat ringworm on the body.
3. Area of skin that is affected should be washed thoroughly and dried well.
4. Avoid wearing fitting clothes over the affected area, change your clothing daily.
5. Make it a point to wash all items of clothing and bed linen regularly and separately.
6. Do not share combs, hair brushes or any kind of headgear.