Low sperm count means that the fluid (semen) you ejaculate during an orgasm contains fewer sperm than normal. A low sperm count is also called oligospermia. A complete absence of sperm is called azoospermia. Your sperm count is considered lower than normal if you have fewer than 15 million sperm per milliliter of semen. The production of sperm is a complex process and requires normal functioning of the testicles (testes) as well as the hypothalamus and pituitary glands — organs in your brain that produce hormones that trigger sperm production. Week sperm count means chances of conceiving without medical intervention.
According to Ayurveda Testicles are made of Kapha and Medha (fat). Increased heat imbalances kapha and medha , thus affecting sperm production.
Causes for low quality of semen by Acharya Charaka:-Old age, Worry, Diseases, Exertion, Fasting, Over indulgence in sexual act, Grief, Strained relationship.
Jaraayaa Chintaaya shukram vyadhibhihi karmakarshanaat |
Kshayam gacchatyanashanaat sthreenaam chaatinishevanaath ||
Symptoms of Low Sperm Count
- The primary symptom of oligospermia is sub-fertility or infertility.
2. Burning with urination.
3. Testicular pain.
4. Thick discharge from the penis.
5. Dilated veins in the scrotum and swelling of the scrotum.
6. Erectile dysfunction.
7. Decreased facial or body hair.
Causes of Low Sperm Count
- Smoking tobacco.
- Using alcohol.
- Using certain illegal drugs.
- Being overweight.
- Having certain past or present infections.
- Being exposed to toxins.
- Overheating the testicles.
- Swelling of the veins that drain the testicle.
- Sexually transmitted infections.
- Ejaculation problems.
- Antibodies that attack sperm.
- The tubes that carry sperm can be damaged by illness or injury.
- Hormone imbalances.
Tips and Diet
- Refrain from habits like smoking, alcohol consumption etc. – Alcohol affects your liver function, which, in turn, causes a dramatic rise in estrogen levels. Even two drinks a day will have long-term effects on sperm production
- Exercise regularly. Exercising your PC muscle can help you shoot further than ever before.
- Eat Nutritious Food – Diet that’s low in fat, and high in protein, vegetables, and whole grains is good for your health and for your sperm. Avoid bitter, astringent and spicy foods. Reduce caffeine intake
- Avoid heating of testicles – Wear loose, cotton boxer shorts, Avoid hot baths and saunas
- Lose any excess weight, which tends to cause testosterone/oestrogen imbalances.
- Reduce stress levels by learning relaxation techniques – Keep your mind and body healthy by regular practice of YOGA and MEDITATION.