According to Ayurveda mostly pains are caused by the aggravation of vata (air) dosha. Arthritis is a condition which is caused by accumulation of ama and aggravation of vata. (Ama is a toxic by-product of improper digestion. )This ama circulates in the whole body and deposits or gets collected at the sites which are weaker. That is why you experience arthritis in fingers or knees. When it deposits in the joints and at the same time there is aggravation of vata , it results in a disease called amavata. This amavata is arthritis.
Symptoms of Arthritis / Joint Pain
1 Joint pain and swelling.
2 Stiffness particularly in the mornings.
3 The feeling of warmth around a joint.
4 Redness of skin around a joint.
5 Inability to move the joint easily.
Causes of Arthritis / Joint Pain
1 Infection in the area (usually caused by either bacteria or viruses).
2 An autoimmune disease (this is where the body attacks itself because the immune system perceives a certain body part to be foreign).
3 General wear and tear on joints (possibly from old age, over exercise etc.).
4 Less physical activity.
5 Stress, Anxiety, Fear.
6 Less lubrication in joints.
7 Improper dietary habit.
Tips and Diet
- Drink a large glass of water with one lemon juice with sugar or salt as necessary in hot water daily morning and night.
- Use fenugreek (Menthya) and its leaves in every-day food in any form you like.
- fear, stress and grief etc. aggrevates the condition.
- . During winter, apply sesame oil (Til oil) to head and body and massage before taking bath.
- Balance your weight if you are obese.
- Keeping yourself warm in winter months will lessen.
- If you have neck pain, shoulder pain or back pain, make sure that whenever you develop symptoms of Coughing or Sneezing must be attended immediately as they can worsen pain, or may even start your pain.
- Light exercise is useful but you must know your limits: as a general rule if any exercise, including walking, causes pain after one hour, you have crossed your limit.
- Mix one part honey to two parts of lukewarm water and add a small level teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Make a paste and massage slowly onto the itching area of the body. It has been found that the pain can recede within a minute or two. Arthritic patients can also benefit from the daily intake morning and evening, of one cup of hot water with two spoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder mixed together.
- Fasting is very beneficial for digesting the AMMA
- Avoid eating hot, spicy and fried foods, sweets, wind forming foods like cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, broccoli, okra and potatoes should be prohibited. Avoid taking too much tea, coffee, alcohol, white sugar, yogurt, chocolate and cocoa, excessive smoking.
- Use garlic in your regular diet.
- Do not eat VATA increasing food items like potato, rice.