The word anemia means “lack of blood” and it is the most common disorder of the blood. It can refer to a decrease in the number of red blood cells or a reduction in the quantity of haemoglobin in the blood. It is also related to deformities in haemoglobin molecules in the blood which affect their ability to carry oxygen.
Anemia is called as Pandu roga in Ayurveda. Anemia is a pitta dosha disorder. Pitta dosha is responsible for the proper digestion and assimilation of the consumed foods in the body. Vitiation in the pitta dosha, especially the paachaka pitta can reduce the digestive capacity of the food. This can cause deficiency of the necessary nutrients, thus creating anemic conditions in the body. Chronic or severe anemia can lead to heart disease, tinnitus, jaundice, vomitting, severe thirst
Symptoms of Anemia
- The skin becomes pale, dry with a blackish hue color.
2. Body- aches
6. Gas in abdomen and weakness
7. Frequent fever
8. Propensity to perform physical labor will decrease and fatigue will come very easily.
10. Desire of sour and hot foods and drinks.
11. Heaviness in body
12. Nausea and vomiting
13. Low digestive fire, cough
14. Frequent illness
15. Nails become brittle and lose the moisture underneath.
16. Numbness of some regions of the body in the cold climate.
Causes of Anemia
- During puberty, girls may suffer from anemia.
2. Eating dirt or clay by children
3. Genetic anemia
4. Radiation or chemotherapies
5. Heavy periods
6. Due to deficiency of water soluble vitamins
7. Kidney disorders
8. Hormonal imbalances
9. Less take of iron in the diet
10. Sex or exercise while one is digesting food
Tips and Diet
- For about ten minutes every day, the anemic person must breathe deeply.
2. Yoga has positive effects in anemia. The preferable asanas are paschimottasana and shavasana.
3. Apples are very good for anemia, preferably eat after every meal.
4. Cook food in iron pots.
5. Ghee should be taken as it pacifies pitta dosha.
6. Drink water from silver and copper vessels.
7. Have small amount of KESAR with milk.
8. Eating onions and ash gourd are also beneficial.
9. Avoid spicy foods, working near heat and sun, and working late at night. Regular exercise in the fresh air is good.